2020-2021 Videos & Resources
Enjoy these videos from 2021 Festival events!
2021 National Math Festival Videos
The following playlist contains all recorded videos from the 2021 National Math Festival, including the NMF Live Online Weekend in April 2021 and the pre-festival events taking place in January through March.
This playlist features the following recorded talks from Spring 2021:
- Changing the 'Face' of Mathematics, with the Mathematically Gifted & Black Founders: Dr. Erica Graham (Bryn Mawr College), Dr. Raegan Higgins (Texas Tech University), Dr. Candice Price (Smith College), and Dr. Shelby Wilson (Johns Hopkins University).
- The End of Space and Time: The Mathematics of Black Holes and the Big Bang, with Dr. Robbert Dijkgraaf (Institute for Advanced Study)
- Numbers through Pictures: A Taste of the Geometry of Numbers (English) with Dr. Jesús De Loera (University of California, Davis)
- Números a través de Dibujos (Spanish) with Dr. Jesús A. De Loera (University of California, Davis)
- Math is Play! with Dr. Emille Davie Lawrence (University of San Francisco)
- Infinite Powers: The Story of Calculus with Dr. Steven Strogatz (Cornell University)
- Believe It Or Not, It's Math (x2) with Rhys Thomas (Science Circus) and Brady Haran (Numberphile), hosted by Albert Sykes (IDEA: The Institute for Democratic Education in America).
- What's the Big Idea: A Game Show for Students and Mathematicians with The Young People's Project, hosted by Albert Sykes (IDEA) and Shawn Bernier (The Young People's Project), featuring mathematicians Jessica Andrews-Todd (Educational Testing Service), Michael Dairyko (Milwaukee Brewers / Major League Baseball), Dr. Pamela E. Harris (Williams College), Fega Okwa (State Street Corporation), John Urschel (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), and Andrés Vindas Meléndez (University of Kentucky). The student judges featured are Timinte Abraham, Sakina Cotton, Maryam Faaziah, Francis Fotso-Towa, Arianna Gaston, and Nailah Hamyar.
- Witches of Agnesi Play Performance and Panel, with Dr. Susan Gerofsky, University of British Columbia (Playwright, "Witches of Agnesi"), Dr. Moira Chas (Stony Brook University), Dr. Shelly Jones (Central Connecticut State University), and Dr. Nancy Scherich (University of Toronto), and hosted by Albert Sykes (IDEA).
- Math Rap Double Feature, with The Music Notes and Professor Lyrical, hosted by Albert Sykes (IDEA).
2020-2021 Mathical Book Prize Events
Math is more than numbers and equations! The Mathical Book Prize (opens new window) inspires kids of all ages to see math in the world around them through fiction and literary non-fiction. Everybody loves a good story: we have picture books to teen novels, and everything in between.
Join us by the fire (so to speak) for some cozy Mathical Book Prize live author readings. The Mathical Book Prize partnered with the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) to invite educators and K-12 students to participate in these events.
* Due to copyrighted content, the recordings of these events were available for a limited time, but you can still access the event resources shared by the authors at the links below.
September 21, 2021: Author, Educator, and YouTuber Eddie Woo
"Mathematics: The Key to a Hidden World" with Author, Educator, and YouTuber Eddie Woo
Author and YouTuber Eddie Woo presented "Mathematics, The Key to a Hidden World" on Tuesday, September 21, a free, interactive event geared at middle and high school students as well as adults.
Do we really need to learn about mathematics in our modern world? We all carry calculators around in our pockets and so much of what we're taught in school mathematics can seem irrelevant to our lives. However, the reason we learn mathematics is not just to solve problems. It's to unlock a world hiding in plain sight, to enable us to appreciate its patterns and navigate its secrets. In this session we'll explore some of those secrets and see how mathematics helps us to wonder at the world we live in.
This event for ages 11+ was presented by the National Math Festival and the Mathical Book Prize (opens new window).
Eddie Woo is a high school mathematics teacher in Sydney, Australia. He uploads his everyday classroom lessons to his YouTube channel, Wootube (opens new window), which has more than 1.2 million subscribers and over 80 million views. In 2018, he was listed as one of the Top 10 Teachers in the World by the Global Teacher Prize. He is the Education Ambassador for Sydney University, a children’s TV host, and the author of IT'S A NUMBERFUL WORLD. (opens new window)
View the recording below or on Vimeo (opens new window).
February 9, 2021: Mathical Book Prize 2021 Winners Announcement
- Featuring book readings with Mathical (opens new window) award-winning authors
Wednesday, December 9, 2020: Tweens and Teens Take on Mathical: Live Author Readings with the Mathical Book Prize
- SOLVING FOR M, by Jennifer Swender
- DK LIFE STORIES: KATHERINE JOHNSON, by Dr. Ebony Joy Wilkins
- SLAY, by Brittney Morris
Thursday, December 10, 2020: Little Ones Rule with Mathical: Live Author Readings with the Mathical Book Prize
- Pigeon Math, by Asia Citro
- Cao Chong Weighs an Elephant, by Songju Ma Daemicke
- Nothing Stopped Sophie, by Cheryl Bardoe