All Ages: Geometric Balloon Twisting
Sunday April 18, 2021 from 2:00pm - 4:00pm ET
Come enjoy the magic of balloons...with geometry, of course!
Ithaca College's math department supports and mentors students through innovative teaching, interaction outside of class, and collaborating on research.
To participate in the hands-on activity part of this session, please have the following materials ready:
- Either bending balloons (long thin balloons used for making balloon animals or shapes) or pipe cleaners (also known as chenille stems)
- For little kids, 10 pipe cleaners per child
- For older kids, 25 pipe cleaners per child (if they want to make every polyhedron)
- Tetrahedron: Requires 2 balloons/pipe cleaners to build
- Cube: Requires 4 to balloons/pipe cleaners to build
- Octahedron: Requires 3 or 1 balloons/pipe cleaners to build
- Vi Hart: Mathematical Balloon Twisting: Introduction (opens new window) (Website)
- Vi Hart: Mathematical Balloon Twisting: Booklet (opens new window) (PDF)