2020-2021 Videos & Resources
Videos from 2021 Festival events will be shared to this page in the week following the April 16-18 events. In the meantime, enjoy events from the NMF Live Performance Series which took place from December 2020 - March 2021!
March 2021 Events
It’s almost time for NMF Live Online, coming up in a few short weeks. But first… two derring-do math performances! Join Rhys Thomas for juggling as you’ve never seen it before; and Brady Haran of Numberphile for whatever he thinks up next.
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 (1:00 – 2:30 pm ET): Believe-It-Or-Not, It’s Math (x2): Science Circus and Numberphile
This video will be available to view through May 18, 2021.
February 2021 Events
Come and listen! The 2021 Mathical Book Prize winning authors will read from their lively new works of kids’ literature. Join the fun! The Young People’s Project hosts a game show in which students judge mathematicians on their charm and clarity explaining their favorite big ideas in mathematics.
Registration links coming in November 2020.
Tuesday, February 9, 2021 (1:00 – 2:00 pm ET): Mathical Book Prize 2021 Winners Announcement
- Featuring book readings with Mathical (opens new window) award-winning authors
* Due to copyrighted content, this recording was available until March 1, 2021. You may still access event resources at the link.
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 (1:00 – 2:30 pm ET): What’s the Big Idea: Game Show Featuring Students and Mathematicians
January 2021 Events
Join us in January for math, music, and theater, as we celebrate math and social justice through hip hop culture, the encouraging rhythms of rap, and the personality, persistence, and overcoming of obstacles of women in mathematics across the years.
Tuesday, January 12, 2021 (1:00 – 2:00 pm ET): Math Rap (Double Feature)
Wednesday, January 27, 2021 (1:00 – 2:30 pm ET): Witches of Agnesi Play Performance: Live Streaming and Panel Discussion
- Dr. Susan Gerofsky, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Moira Chas, Stony Brook University
- Dr. Nancy Scherich, University of Toronto
- Dr. Shelly Jones, Central Connecticut State University
December 2020 Events
Math is more than numbers and equations! The Mathical Book Prize (opens new window) inspires kids of all ages to see math in the world around them through fiction and literary non-fiction. Everybody loves a good story: we have picture books to teen novels, and everything in between.
Join us by the fire (so to speak) for some cozy Mathical Book Prize live author readings. We are partnering with the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) to ship Mathical Books ahead of time to kids in Title I schools so they are ready to meet these authors!
* Due to copyrighted content, this event recording was available to view until JanuYou may still access event resources at the link.ary 31, 2021.
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 (1:00 – 2:30 pm ET): Tweens and Teens Take on Mathical: Live Author Readings with the Mathical Book Prize
- SOLVING FOR M, by Jennifer Swender
- DK LIFE STORIES: KATHERINE JOHNSON, by Dr. Ebony Joy Wilkins
- SLAY, by Brittney Morris