What's the Big Idea: A Game Show Featuring Students and Mathematicians (Encore Showing)
Saturday April 17, 2021 from 11:00am - 12:30pm ET
Join elementary, middle, and high school students for a whirlwind presentation of big ideas in math — presented by mathematicians — and judged by students! Students will assess the mathematicians' explanations based on fun and clarity. Come ready to listen to some BIG math ideas, aimed at audiences from elementary school through university level mathematics.
Featured mathematicians and topics include:
- Jessica Andrews-Todd: Is a Square a Rectangle?
- Fega Okwa: Is 0 an Even Number?
- Dr. Pamela E. Harris: Why is 0.99999... = 1?
- Andrés R. Vindas Meléndez: Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Michael Dairyko: Can We Divide By Zero?
- John Urschel: Are Some Infinities "Bigger" Than Others?
This event is an encore broadcast of the February 2021 live game show presented by the Young People's Project, which uses a near-peer mentoring model to support student achievement in math.