Welcome, and thank you for hosting a Geometric Bubble Event at your U.S. science center on Saturday, May 4, 2019, as part of the 2019 National Math Festival.
What Is a Geometric Bubble Event?
It is an opportunity for individuals and families (ages 8+) to experience math in a hands-on, playful way by dipping three-dimensional geometrically designed bubble wand structures into a soap solution and following instructions and experimenting to see what magical results can be obtained. (Hint: The geometric forms may not be what you were expecting!)
Free Event Kit
Your U.S.-based science center will receive one free Geometric Bubble Kit, which can accommodate up to 8 users simultaneously. The kit requires advance assembly and is best used by ages 8 and up. The free kit will include:
glued geometric Zometool models for dipping in soap solution;
- Social media promotional graphic, PDF of promotional toolkit, and PDF of National Math Festival Tabletop Sign (1 MB) to use as a teaser for promotional and marketing purposes;
- PDF of Content Cards (3.2 MB) with assembly instructions, facilitator training, tips and prompts as well as a brief explanation of some links between Bubbles and Math;
- PDF of Instruction Sheet (0.3 MB) with details and tips on how to set up your Bubble Station; and
- PDF of Signs (1 MB) with helpful public-facing tips you can print and display next to the activity.
You will need to supply the following:
- Buckets or containers for bubble solution
- Dawn dish soap
- Water (for bubble solution)
- Plastic drinking straws
- Towels, paper towels, and fresh water for cleanup
- Plastic sleeves or lamination to cover event kit print materials are recommended
- Printouts of signs or instruction sheets (see PDFs linked above)
Ordering Additional Bubble Kits
Museum Planning Timeline
Our supply of free Bubble Kits is limited, so please sign up early to ensure you have a spot!
- Kits mailed to museums – Mid-February 2019
- Optional pre-event phone call #1 – March 19, 2019
- Optional pre-event phone call #2 (REGISTER HERE) – 1:00pm EST, Pacific, April 23, 2019
- Event day – Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Photos and evaluations due – May 10, 2019
The Geometric Bubble Events on Saturday, May 4, 2019 are made possible through the generosity of Zometool and the Sponsors of the 2019 National Math Festival, with the cooperation of the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC).
The 2019 National Math Festival is organized by the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) in cooperation with the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and the National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath).