Welcome, and thank you for hosting a Geometric Bubble Event at your U.S. science center on Saturday, May 4, 2019, as part of the 2019 National Math Festival.
What Is a Geometric Bubble Event?
It is an opportunity for individuals and families (ages 8+) to experience math in a hands-on, playful way by dipping three-dimensional geometrically designed bubble wand structures into a soap solution and following instructions and experimenting to see what magical results can be obtained. (Hint: The geometric forms may not be what you were expecting!)
Free Event Kit
Your U.S.-based science center will receive one free Geometric Bubble Kit, which can accommodate up to 8 users simultaneously. The kit requires advance assembly and is best used by ages 8 and up. The free kit will include (links coming soon):
glued geometric Zometool models for dipping in soap solution;
- Assembly instructions (PDF/video);
- Train-the-trainer facilitation guide (PDF/video);
- Public-facing guide cards (for museum-goers);
- Relevant facts and suggested questions for facilitators;
- A brief (1 minute or less) video to use as a teaser for promotional and marketing purposes;
- Exit cards for visitors to “take home” with links to additional activities and information.
You will need to supply the following:
- Buckets or containers for bubble solution
- Dawn dish soap
- Water (for bubble solution)
- Plastic drinking straws
- Towels, paper towels, and fresh water for cleanup
- Plastic sleeves or lamination to cover event kit print materials are recommended
Ordering Additional Bubble Kits
Museum Planning Timeline
Our supply of free Bubble Kits is limited, so please sign up early to ensure you have a spot!
- Kits mailed to museums – Mid-February 2019
- Optional pre-event phone call #1 – March 19, 2019
- Optional pre-event phone call #2 – April (Date TBD)
- Event day – Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Photos and evaluations due – May 10, 2019
The Geometric Bubble Events on Saturday, May 4, 2019 are made possible through the generosity of Zometool and the Sponsors of the 2019 National Math Festival, with the cooperation of the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC).
The 2019 National Math Festival is organized by the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) in cooperation with the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and the National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath).